Transfering Transmission to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grayfox, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Grayfox macrumors member

Hey all.

I got a new iMac on the weekend, so i transferred all my stuff over (by hand, not time machine cause i wanted a fresh install), I have a folder that i store my Transmission downloads in, so i put it back in the same place as it was on the old mac, and i kept all my old .torrent files.
    Now before if i deleted a torrent from the list but not the file, it would just check if the file was there and continue, but now it's not doing that, it's just overwriting them, because i had a few that weren't fully complete yet.

So i'm wondering, is there a way to make Transmission check and see if the file exists first and continue instead of redownloading it all? i clicked Verify Local Data and that did nothing.

Thanks all that help!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In less time than it took you to type your post--a lot less time--you can drag & drop your torrent files onto Transmission on your new computer and have everything ready to go.

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

If the incomplete torrent is in the correct folder (whatever folder you have setup incomplete torrents to be in your Transmission settings..) then when you open the .torrent file Transmission will realise that that torrent is already there and scan it to see if it is incomplete/complete. Then it'll continue off from where you were.

It sounds like your incomplete folder doesn't contain the incomplete torrent you are wanting to download.

4. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Thats what i mean, i saved the folder exactly, dragged it into the external, then dragged it back, when i added the .torrent file it just deleted what it already found and started again, i even watched it delete them and re add the folder

EDIT: Oh and MisterMe, do you mean drag and droping the actual file into Transmission? because all that does it make a .torrent file. Also, incase anyone is wondering why i cant just redownload, i live in Australia and redownloading 10GB worth of stuff isn't fun.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Odd.. it shouldn't do that. I do that all the time - transfer downloads from one computer to another to finish it off.

Try setting up a separate incomplete folder. This is what I do: I have "Bit Torrent Downloads" and within that there is a folder called "Incomplete" and all incomplete downloads are there, then all finished downloads just get moved to Bit Torrent Downloads.

It might be because you don't have a separate incomplete folder..?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Make sure you have selected the new download locations in Transmission's preferences. You can then download the exact same .torrent, add it to Transmission, and select "Verify existing data." You could have copied over Transmission's preferences file (in ~/Library/Application Support), which would have included the .torrent files.

I'm a little unsure about the part i have underlined above.

7. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Ah i think i see now, i never kept the torrent files Transmission itself makes, i kept the ones I downloaded, guess when it went looking it couldn't find it. Could this be the reason?

Also thanks Kilamite, I'll try the separate folder idea.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

No - it just means you have to make sure you open the exact same .torrent file, but if you kept them then there's no problem.

There's nothing complicated about it - just drag the incomplete downloads over, set the right incomplete folder in Transmission's preferences, open the .torrent file and Transmission will check existing file data.

9. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, i tested a few others, and some work some don't, like i had Fedora half downloaded and it deleted the folder before my eyes then started from scratch, but when i downloaded a Scummvm games pack, it was able to find what i already had.