transfering virus from pc to mac via ethernet crossover cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gerz85, Mar 4, 2009.

1. gerz85 macrumors newbie

I just got a virus/malware a couple days ago on my dell running xp. i guess it happened at just the right time, b/c i bought a new imac from the refresh yesterday.

my question, although highly unlikely, is there a chance that i could transfer that virus from my pc to mac when im trying to transfer my media files from the pc to mac? i only plan on transfering my media files (mp3s, movies, pix, some documents). althought im not 100% sure, i dont think any of these files have been affected.

(i have the "spyware protect 2009" and "hijack.sound" spyware/malware on the pc if that helps)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Scippy macrumors regular

At the present moment, it is not possible to get a virus on a Mac that will work. That being said, the Mac can have the file that contains the virus, but the virus itself will not work, but it you transferred that file back over to a PC, you would infect the PC.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

False.

"No viruses exist for OS X."

True.

5. Scippy macrumors regular

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can transfer a virus from your PC to a Mac, but it won't run on or affect the Mac. However, you do need to be careful, since you could transfer that virus back to a PC and infect that PC.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Windows viruses tend to be .exe files. Mac OS X cannot read .exe files, so even if the virus transferred to the Mac it would just sit there and do absolutely nothing, as the file type cannot be opened.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, no, that's not what I meant. You said that it wasn't possible for OS X to ever have a virus, and that's probably false.

It's close to impenetrable, but nothing is perfect.

9. Scippy macrumors regular

Is this better phrased for you?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He's just trying to help by making sure that misinformation isn't passed. It IS possible to get a virus on a Mac. At present, none exist. That doesn't mean it's impossible (however unlikely) for one to be created in the future.