transferred files from old to new mac... but got lost!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by icej, Apr 27, 2010.

1. icej macrumors newbie

Hey guys!:)

I just bought the new Mac (i7) great machine so far!

I had an old Mac, and all I wanted to do was transferring files from one to the other... and bought firewire cable and used migration assistant... pretty smooth and straight forward till there!

Once finished to transfer... the setting in the new mac was completely changed... the setting from the old mac was now on (even the pic on the desktop changed!!!), which fricked me out a lil bit :eek:... couldnt use internet (had to configure again the network, fortunately not that hard)... managed to change account, so to get back to the new mac setting...

Now once back to the new setting... I couldn't find anymore all the files that I had on the old mac... music, pics, software files I had...however in the NEW folder Applications, I can find vst-insts I had on the old one for example, but not those other files... struggled a lil bit around, after looking at some forum that probably I should have read before doing this "migration".... if only the sale assistant would have said to me... and finally found the "Users" folder, where I could access my old account... and there they are old folders... however it doesnt give me permission to access them or do anything... it saysthat I havent got the permission to see the content... I guess because I am on the "new account" and therefore differnt from the old one...

Is there any way I can get these files on the new Mac?? like kind of sharing, so that I don't need to access the old account to see them, even casue in the old account wouldnt be of much help...
    If not possible, can I delete those files... and restart everything again??

Sorry if I have been a little bit confusing and not so clear... but I am not too sure how to explain the matter. Hope somebody can help!

Cheers.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Can't you just log on with the old account name and pw you used on the old computer?

You essentially copied over the entire user profile and such to the new computer. If you just put your old computer into 'target disk' mode, you could have accessed the files you wanted instead of using migration assistant to copy over the user.