Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Ventura 13.6.1 iMAC Retina 5k 27" 2017 Nikon z8
After I transfer my pictures from the card to the mac I get the attached rather than the image. It is probably a problem with Nikon and Apple talking to each other because pictures taken with an older nikon, same file format, display fine.
Any input appreciated
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 3.04.13 PM.png

Thanks in advance

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
NEF files vary from camera to camera. They aren’t all the same. Support for newer cameras is included in Apple’s operating systems, so upgrading to Sonoma might help. If you’re willing to attach one here, those of us on Sonoma can tell you whether it works. The trouble is that Apple can’t support it until Nikon releases the details.

Edit: Here is Apple’s list of supported cameras. The Z8 isn’t on the list, but we can still test one.

Here are some interim solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: gilby101

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the info and the kind offer.
It's not letting me attach an nef. All of the files(nefs) in the folder are greyed out. I was trying to attach a 34mb file.
If I work on the file and change it to a tiff then it shows and will open/
Preview doesn't load it either.
I could upgrade to Sonoma, but I think I will post over on Photo.net because probably someone already faced the issue.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They are having the same issue it appears.
Even if Sonoma doesn't currently support raw files from the Z8 you can be certain that Ventura never will. Apple stopped supplying raw support updates to older OSes several years ago.
The easiest workaround is probably to preview the images in Bridge.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
That NEF will be a huge file. You'd likely need to compress it to a zip archive and upload it to a file sharing site somewhere, then paste the link here.

I had your problem with a high end Sony a few years back. Took 9 months to be able to actually work with any of my raw files. Got a lot of "Not My Problem" from both Sony and Apple. Then one update, it worked! Then another broke it again. Things have been generally better since switching to Nikon. I think installing Nikons own NX software usually seems to install the codecs. But then both an update and a fresh install of Sonoma broke a lot of stuff that hasn't been fixed yet too.

Last edited:

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
found a workaround!
from a member on Photo.net
>>

I got the same problem until I highlighted the images. Drag your cursor over a row of images then right click on one then click on "Quick Look"
<<
my response:
"thanks for the tip, but...

I tried highlighting 3 files, right clicked, chose Quick look and no joy, got the same thing as attached above.

HOWEVER!

highlighting the same three files and I chose the eyeball icon (for quick look) in the finder windows tool bar and they appeared!

Go figure."
How can this make sense unless it's different code for the icon and the right click menu, but why would there be different code?
I hope this continues to work and it was not a fluke, but I am afraid to "test" it. Keeping my fingers crossed and seeing how it goes.

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Ugh.
My bad
I went and tried it again and I am not getting a "quick look" with right click...quick Look or with CMD Y or with the icon.

It is also noted that Preview.app doesn't work for these:

The file “_DSC0944.NEF” could not be opened. This file format is not supported."

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
If you’re willing to attach one here, those of us on Sonoma can tell you whether it works.
Your second link includes a sample Z8 RAW file which, as expected, does not open or quicklook in macOS 14.1.

The file “_DSC0944.NEF” could not be opened. This file format is not supported."
The second link from @chabig covers the errors you are likely to see.

And also a list of products which do support Z8. In addition:

Graphic Converter (not free) and Adobe Bridge (free?) do display the sample photo without problem.

What is your workflow with your Nikon images?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Anybody know how long it took for the Z9 to gain support? We're 7 months since the release of the Z8, that seems unusually long-- I seem to remember Apple being faster with this, like almost ready when the camera released faster...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.