Transferred Macbook Pro to iMac, now time machine has same name for backups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmre5150, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jmre5150 macrumors member

jmre5150

I just got my iMac, and during boot-up for the first time, it asked me if I wanted to transfer my stuff. Naturally, I said yes, and transferred all my setting, apps, etc.

Now my iMac is also known as "myname's computer". When backing up to my external HD, it will just rewrite over my periodical TM backups I do on my MBP.

How do I rename my iMac so TM will save a separate backup on my HD?

As you may already realize, I have my new iMac always hooked up to it, and once or twice a week I unplug the HD and attach it to my MBP for manual backups.

Please advise.

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

rename your account or the computer's name?
    if it is computer just go to the sharing pref in your system prefs and change the name. real easy. also you can partition the hard drive. and use the hard drive you want for each back up.

3. jmre5150 thread starter macrumors member

jmre5150

Thank you very much. The partitioning using disk utility worked perfectly. I apologize for being a noob, but I only had my MBP for alittle over a year and never had a backup HD for my PC's all those years.Glad I made the switch, and glad Mac owners are such helpful and nice people.

Thanks again!

4. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

glad to help and no worries. please ask any question. it's better to ask then not know. glad i could help.