Transferred number, when do I cancel old account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 99MustangGTman, Jul 2, 2009.

1. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I switched to an iPhone, ordered it Tuesday and said backordered, but now just says ordered in process. Well anyways, I have Sprint(still do until I receive my iphone) and I want to know when should I cancel my account? Should I wait until I receive my iPhone? Or wait until the day I receive my phone? Also, will I have service as soon as I activate my account, or is there some down time I have to experience because my old account needs to be canceled first? I know this is all worded kind of weird, I appreciate any help, i've never transferred my number before.

2. jmeray macrumors member

jmeray

Get your phone.
    Then activate it (i assume u did NOT xfer your # during ordering).
    Once activated, your NEW temporary # will work right away.
    Go to ATT store or call ATT.
    Tell them u want to xfer your # from sprint.
    They will handle the xfer (takes and hour or less usually for it to xfer).
    Your sprint acct will be closed for that # automatically due to the move of your phone# to ATT.
    Done.

(If you have other people on your sprint account like a family plan, make sure you move someone else to be the PRIMARY # before you xfer your number to ATT).

3. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

If you ported your old number to your iphone then Sprint will automatically close the account as long as that was the only service on the account. They will send you a bill for whatever bill remains. There should be no need for you to have to cancel/close your Sprint account.

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

yup this is the way it should be. i also came from sprint and ported my number the day i received my iphone. right after i ported the number over, the sprint line was automatically canceled.

5. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

I transferred both numbers on the account right when I placed my order for phone online. Thanks for the quick reply guys, very useful!