Transferring 100GB music from PC to MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jpbates, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jpbates macrumors newbie

Hey, I've just bought a MacBook Air and am trying to transfer all my music from the PC (running Windows 7) and I don't want to just use Home Sharing as I intend to sell the PC.

I am currently trying to use Migration Assistant to wirelessly transfer the files but there's 100GB worth and it says it's going to take 35 hours. Surely there must be a quicker way - can you help? I also tried to do the 'Import' option through Home Sharing but this seemed no quicker and failed after transferring 4,000 tracks. If I then do it again it just adds duplicates, rather than replacing already moved tracks.

Thanks
    James

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Have you got an ethernet cable lying around somewhere that you could use to connect the two together with? Ethernet transfer would be the fastest.

3. jpbates thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeh I do I think... How do you do that?

4. jpbates thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Silly me there's no Ethernet on the MacBook Air

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Direct connect
    To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC, if both have an Ethernet port:

• Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
    • Make sure that both computers are turned on.
    • In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    • Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
      smb://DNSname/ShareName​
      smb://IPaddress/ShareName​
    • Click Connect.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
    • Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    • Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
    • When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

6. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Well without an ethernet adapter, I think the quickest way would be to use an external hard drive to copy and paste all the music, if you don't have that, well, there's not any way quicker I can think of.

7. jpbates thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh I'll try that, the External Hard Drive has just been an issue because of the different formats between Mac and PC. Thanks for your suggestions!

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Crap. That's my fault. I should have read properly that you were using a MacBook Air.

Yea, your next fastest is probably going to be an external HDD. If you don't have one, use a large capacity USB stick and make a few trips. A hassle yes, but it'll get the job done relatively quickly.

9. jpbates thread starter macrumors newbie

I reformatted my HD to FAT and that's worked. All done.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hmm FAT isn't literally the fastest at writing. NTFS is [and it is read/write compatible on Windows and only Read compatible on OSX...
    but the speeds on NTFS are > speeds on FAT...

So since you are only going to be dragging it off your Ext. HDD i suggest formatting it to NTFS, but if you read this afterwards, then don't sweat, it's not biggy. Now you can read and write on macs :)

11. jpbates thread starter macrumors newbie

It's all done, thanks for taking the time to help!