Transferring 40gb from ext hdd to shared folder on my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shneady, Mar 21, 2009.

1. shneady macrumors member

So, I'm transferring my whole 40.53gb of music into my iMac from my ext hdd to the shared folder. That way there my girl and I can access that folder and customize our own itunes libraries. So once I got to 39.59 gb copied over (only 207 items left out of 11,000 something) I see my Finder jumping in the doc. So I check it out it, it says one item can't be moved over because it's in use? So I'm like okay, it's not in use, but whatever, it's a song I don't even care about and if so, I'll just add it manually later. So, I click 'okay' (the only option I had anyway). Now the transfer is stuck at 39.59gb. It's not continuing the transfer! Why? How do I know what 207 items are left? That way there I can just stop it where its at and then I can just add that 207 manually myself. It just have one gb left to transfer and it says it's less than a minute too... I'm on homestretch here, wtf!!!! Can anybody please help a brotha out? Thank you,

-S

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It goes alphabetically. A-Z on the top level, then if it runs into a folder at R, it drills down into that one and goes A-Z, and so forth.

You might want to quit iTunes and relaunch Finder while you're at it. That might free up the files. Another good trick is to copy rather than move, so your process isn't interrupted by files that are in use. Afterwards you can just trash the old folder.

3. shneady thread starter macrumors member

I can't get rid of the 'copying' pop up that's on my screen now... It won't go away. I keep 'x'ing it, trying to get it to stop, but nothing... And I only have the option to minimize it, that's it... So I can't even start over. Should I just unplug the harddrive and start over, or restart the computer? Thank you again for your help

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Relaunch Finder. Option+right click on the Finder icon in the Dock and select Relaunch. Then try again.

Bear in mind that the most recently copied file will probably be incomplete.

5. shneady thread starter macrumors member

BlueRevolution, you are the s**t! Thanks a lot that worked perfectly!Should I just delete what I transferred and start all over again? This time, copying and pasting instead of just moving it over?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's the simplest way, but it would take a lot longer.

7. shneady thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm doing. No big deal, I'm almost done now. Thanks again for all of your help BR. You just put my headache on relief status. Really appreciate it

-S

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My pleasure. Let me know if you have any more problems.

9. shneady thread starter macrumors member

Well, the same thing happened again, in the exact same spot. I found the song and just deleted it off the ext hdd, it's a song I can care less about anyway... The question I have is why wont the mac just let you pic back up from where you left off? It's so annoying, especially with such a large amount of information. It's not like a quick transfer, it takes a good 25 min. And having to start over everytime is annoying. Who the heck has time for that? I don't. I want to pick up where I left off that's all, without having to start all over again. Once this 40 gb of music is done, I have an even larger 60gb of video going into my mac from the same ext hdd. How long is that one going to take What if I run into the same problem again or any problem for that matter while making the transfer? 40 min? Ooh, I'm going to be so hot if I have to keep starting over when one little problem happens during the transfer... Plus, I have to keep relaunching the finder to get rid of that stupid 'copying' pop up that won't go away after is gets stuck. Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!