transferring 8mm film

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm looking at purchasing a workprinter unit from moviestuff.tv.

Does anyone have any experience with these units or maybe similar units? I transfer media for my business, but currently outsource film. The next step is to add this equipment to my office.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've never really played with a frame-by-frame machine (when I still did film, I always shipped it off to a facility for telecine). But, I knew a few guys in film school that used one as an alternative. I will say that the results can't compare to a true telecine.

First, you're relying on the quality of a consumer camera's lens and image sensor(s). Secondly, consumer cameras record to compressed formats (DV, HDV, AVCHD, etc.) that discard a great deal of color information that a telecine operator or colorist would typically use to perform a 1-light correction before transferring to tape.

So I guess it really depends on what kind of sacrifices you'd be willing to make.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks capt. i'll keep this in mind. i believe the new versions can use 3-CCD cameras, but that might still make up for the colour issues you raise.