Transferring a 14gb folder from internal HD to an external FAT32 HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmc754, Sep 28, 2009.

1. dmc754 macrumors newbie

I know that FAT32 has a 4gb limitation and I need to transfer a folder with 2 disk images that are 7gb each and have tried splitting them but it never seems to work and when it does I can't join them again. I cannot format the drive either as I have over 500gb of data on it. So if anyone has a solution to how I can transfer the files it would be appreciated a lot.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Unfortunately the only solution would be to format your drive as HFS+ or NTFS and use a third party software to access it from your Mac. AFAIK, there is no way to get around this limitation.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Did you try zipping them to get the file size smaller?

4. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Use ``zip'' to create an archive consisting of a series of sufficiently small files. This is exactly the same principal that would be employed if you were trying to burn something that can't fit within the space of a single CD.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Is the OP trying to join these files on the FAT32 formatted disk or is (s)he just using the disk to transfer files between machines? If it's the former, it just won't work since the files will still be larger than 4GB. There's no way around it. If it's the latter, yes zip files will work so long as the sections are smaller than 4GB each.

6. coops macrumors regular

If you still have a decent amount of space on that external drive - then create a new partition on it and then copy those large files to it.

choose your new partition file system to suit..... ie not FAT32 :)

Your external drive will then show up as 2 volumes....