Transferring a hard drive from G4 to Mac Pro - Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TimCat, Apr 2, 2010.

1. TimCat macrumors newbie

Hey. I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread, if so, please post the link.

Here is the problem:

I have a dual 1.42 Ghz G4 which has been taking a dump on me.
    The onboard firewire ports have gone out and do nothing.
    I just recently bought a Mac Pro, and I want to get my data from the G4 over to the new computer, but I can't connect to my external hard drives with firewire.

Question:
    Is it possible to pull my main storage drive(just data, not boot disk) out of the g4 and drop it into one of the extra bays on the Mac Pro. Or will it not be readable?

Any other suggestions?

I will probably get a PCI firewire card for the G4 just so I can transfer the stuff off, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Thank you,
    Tim

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

No the G4 uses an IDE connector the Mac Pro is SATA.

I would recommend getting a USB to SATA/IDE adapter like the Sabrent USB-DSC5. It is extremely useful as you can connect just about any desktop or laptop internal hard drive you will come across to a USB port.

Though it will not work with SAS or other forms of SCSI but you will only find those on high end servers and workstations that have a RAID card designed for that those standards.

Normally I would say to get an external enclosure but the G4's drive is likely too small and slow to be useful with a Mac Pro and being that the enclosure would be IDE it would be useless for new large capacity drives.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

+1 on the adapter. Once you have one, you'll find all kinds of uses for it.