Transferring a Tiger install to another HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jugney, May 6, 2008.

1. Jugney macrumors member

Hey all,

I recently acquired a free iMac G3 for use at a startup business. It should suit us fine as it will not be used for much more than web browsing and creating documents (you have to love how well Tiger runs on this old machine!)

Anyway, the hard drive is really loud and I'd like to swap it out. However, since I don't have the Tiger install CD I want to make an image of the hard drive to make the transfer over as easy as possible.

Is this possible? Should I format the new hard drive first? Any recommendations on how to do this?

Thanks so much,
    Jugney

2. Jugney thread starter macrumors member

3. ADent macrumors 6502a

SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

New drive should be HFS+ format - use disk util if neccesary.

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    can you do this w/ disk utility? like let's say I had a 2-partitioned HD with Leopard and Tiger. And I had my Tiger just nstalled with no user data yet, just the installed programs I want (for example, photoshop, vlc, etc). Could I go into disk utility, go to the restore tab, and take the source disk Tiger and copy it to an external HD. And then if I ran into problems and wanted to go back to "the start", just delete the data off the partition via disk utiltiy's erase, and copy back what I had copied to the external hard drive? This way I wouldn't have to reinstall everything again from the Tiger DVD, the Photoshop CD, etc.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Or maybe create a disk image?

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

you need a firewire external disk and carbon copy cloner to copy your internal disk. Be sure your iMac is a model with a firewire port.