Transferring a Windows 7 Bootcamp Partition to a PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jollyM, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jollyM macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been using my macbook pro (mid-2010) for quite a while now with both Mac and Windows 7 on it. Recently I've built a new PC to be able to handle the latest modeling/editing/rendering/programming software and games for which my PC side was intended.

So, I naively thought I could simply take my SSD out of my MBP and plug it in to boot up in Windows on my new PC. This was not the case, and I cannot get anything to boot up on the PC (startup repair was useless).

My endgoal is to place my OSX partition on a seperate HDD and have my Windows 7 Partition working on the SSD in the new PC.

My theory is that the Bootcamp drivers are causing issues in startup leading to the crash.

-What's the easiest way to migrate this windows partition off my MBP and onto a PC? Is it simply a need to uninstall the BootCamp Drivers? Can I do this without the Windows 7 install disk? (It's currently in another state)

Thanks for your help

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You might want to try Sysprep, a Windows utility that basically strips out all the custom drivers and makes your install "generic" so you can transfer it from your Mac to your PC. Also look up Winclone, a Mac utility. Their FAQ talks about what you are wanting to do.