Transferring All Data from 2 Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yung Ghost, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Yung Ghost macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, I actually just registered an account on this forum to ask this question.

My Macbook Pro has been used very strenuously for over 4 years and now runs slower, heats up more, and the battery life lasts a lot less.

I would like to be functioning at the highest ability possible for university.

My mom has a much newer model of the Macbook Pro and agreed to let me switch Macbooks with her if I can fully transfer all of the data from both of them and make my old laptop appear exactly the exactly the way that her laptop does now regarding the desktop and the placement of all the files.

I was just wondering what would be the easiest way possible to transfer all of the data from both laptops?
    I was thinking of simply using an external hard drive and Time Machine but I found that Time Machine requires me to reformat the external hard drive in order for it to be compatible and I really didn't want to lose all of my data.
    I was wondering if there was any other method I could use to do this, such as an application, that would be simple and effective.

All help is graciously appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You should have a look at Carbon Copy Cloner, up until version 3.4.6 is free.

You can safe a whole disk onto an Image, do this for both disks and reverse it, they are bootable again.

CCC Download.

Attached Files: