Transferring all files from ibook G4 to new MacBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gcortese, Jan 3, 2009.

1. gcortese macrumors newbie

Transferring all files from ibook G4 to new MacBook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought my daughter a new MacBook and I want to transfer all files from the older ibook G4 to the new MacBook aluminum using a firewire but I do not know what kind of firewire I need and how to do it once I purchase the correct firewire. Please help

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the computer to a host computer. Then you can read here for more details.

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Take both computers down to the Apple store and have them do it.

If enough people do this perhaps Apple might put firewire back into the MacBooks.

Sorry I wasn't really any help.

4. yjm macrumors newbie

firewire cable for transferring from ibook G4 to Macbook Pro

My ibook G4 was bought in 2004. Do I need the 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable too? I have Mac OS X 10.3.1.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

If you're talking about the new rebranded 13" MacBook Pro aluminum you'll require either an 800 to 400 firewire cable, or a fast network ethernet connection, (wireless will be slower; I believe the iBook G4 has g wifi).

Once connected either using Target Mode (start one of the books up while connected via Firewire, pressing down the 'T' key) or by network you can use Migration Assistant (in the Utilities folder in Applications) to move data from the iBook to the new MacBook.

Some people here swear by Carbon Copy Cloner as well to migrate between drives.

6. PowerMaxNW macrumors newbie

PowerMaxNW

Transferring Data from a G4 iBook to a MacBook

We have had customers e-mail us asking this same question so we posted a response on our resources page. Please click the link for more info. on transferring data from a G4 iBook to a MacBook.

Hope this helps!

7. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

CCC is a good solution if you're moving between similar machines - cloning the PPC OS X install on the iBook to the Intel machine will result in it not booting (Learned from firsthand experience... I was being pretty dumb).