Transferring and deleting PDF files from iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stanw, Aug 2, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I want to put lots of .pdf files on an iPad to take on a plane. I want to be able to delete the PDF files after reading them, and have those PDF files removed from whichever location that I initially synched them over from.

I can't use dropbox because I will not have an internet connection on the plane.

1. Where should I store these PDF on the iPad?
    2. What service will I use to remove them after synching?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't have an internet connection, you wouldn't be able to sync changes, anyway. Dropbox is ideal for your needs. You can delete the PDFs on the iPad when you're done with them and Dropbox will sync those deletions the next time you have an internet connection.

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you saying that I could access the PDF files through Dropbox on the iPad even without an internet connection?

Thanks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Once the files are in Dropbox, while you still have an internet connection, open Dropbox on the iPad, and for each document you want to access offline, tap the star icon on the toolbar. That will store the file on your iPad, where you can access it offline. To remove it from the iPad, simply tap the star icon again, and it will only be stored in the cloud.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/229

5. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

If you want to use your own server, you can also use GoodReader. You can configure it to sync with a directory on your server, including deleting files from the server once they're no longer on the iPad.

It's cheap and one of the best ways to carry a bunch of random unrelated files around on your iPad.