Transferring Applecare from one machine to another: is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alskdj, Dec 12, 2009.

1. alskdj macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I have Applecare registered with an aluminium macbook which was purchased this year Feb. The applecare itself was not purchased then, it was purchased in August. Just got a Macbook Pro 13" though, and have decided to sell the macbook. Is it possible to transfer the Applecare to the new machine? Since the 2 year parts warranty hasn't started yet, and the technical support has only been active for 4 months

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's possible since the year warranty isn't up yet. I know someone who was able to take the Applecare off of his Black MacBook and get a refund. Just give Applecare a call and explain your situation.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I don't know if a transfer I possible, but you can call AppleCare and cancel the plan for a prorated refund (full, since it's not in effect yet) and you can purchase a new plan for your new computer.

4. alskdj thread starter macrumors member

mm thing is there was a fault with logic board, which resulted in it getting replaced. Thing is, due to this, I had to call Apple many times out of the 'complimentary' 90 day period. Does the value of these phone calls deduct from the pro-rata amount, even though they were to do with a warrantable fault?

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Maybe... no one knows. It might depend on the rep you speak with, it might not. Give them a call and explain the situation.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can not transfer AppleCare to anther computer, only another user. As said, you can get a pro-rated refund. And it will be pro-rated as the telephone support portion started already.