Transferring Applecare to new owner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swiss Apple, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Hey All,
    I've just sold my 3G iphone, and as a deal sweetener I said I would throw in Applecare to extend the warranty to Sept of next year. Now that I have an Applecare code off Ebay, my question is should I register the Applecare myself or should I let the buyer do it? and do I need to provide an address when I go through the registration process?

I always struggle to understand whether Apple already has a copy of my details (name, address etc..) or is it just the carrier that has those details :confused:

Thanks in advance

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Might consider just giving them the code. You can register your name, then transfer it to someone else, but it's more work and time.

3. Swiss Apple thread starter macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Thanks for the reply, so when you register your Applecare code you need to give a name and address? Because I already have his details and can do it on his behalf.

Cheers

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just send him/her the code; b/c once you've sold the iPhone they can utilized the AC code themselves. Why would you want to get yourself in a long-drawn-out process of putting someone's info in the appropriate boxes and activating it for them? Ship it out with the code, and be done with it! Cut the apron strings, it's just an iPhone; one that's almost a year-old at that....Gawwwww! :p:p:p

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I wasn't sure how to do it myself when I sold my 3G.

I just called Apple, provided my information and his information (name, address, phone number) and "authorized" him to call in to re-register the phone under his name. I'm not sure if that was the correct way -- or if it even worked, since I haven't heard from him nor received eBay feedback.