Transferring Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gorcman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. gorcman macrumors member

Hello. My sister just bought a MBP from amazon two weeks ago along with AppleCare. She's thinking of returning the MBP and getting the new one. However, she's already registered AppleCare on the old MBP. Is it possible to transfer the AppleCare from the old MBP to the new one?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can transfer AppleCare to the new owner of a Mac, but not between Macs that you own. AppleCare follows the computer, not the owner.

3. gorcman thread starter macrumors member

Hm. that doesn't seem to make much sense. So, say you buy a Macbook Pro at the Apple store with AppleCare. 2 weeks later, that Macbook Pro is found to be defective and a brand new replacement (with a new serial #) is required. Apple won't transfer the license from the old one to the new one?

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I honestly wouldn't bother asking here...I would just get in the phone or even better go to an apple store...

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

If apple replaces your machine you have the option to transfer the Applecare. I was given the option to transfer the remaining 1.5 years but chose to buy it new and get the full 3 years. you can cancel the applecare and get a refund.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, they'll replace a computer under AppleCare and the coverage remaining applies to the replacement. However you're talking about a different scenario than getting a defective product replaced under warranty terms.
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html
    http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/01/applecare-protection-plans-now-transferable-to-new-products/

Call AppleCare and explain your situation. They're the only authority on what can and can't be done.