Transferring applications from old mac to new one

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbmmike, Apr 19, 2007.

1. tbmmike macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new 20" intel iMac, and I already own a G4 iBook. I know that I have the option of transferring all my applications, data, etc. from one computer to the other. However, I'm not sure I want to do that. What I want to find out is if I can transfer only a few specific applications, files, etc. from my old mac to my new one.

The problem with some of my applications is that I don't have the original disks or disk images or compressed files.....what I basically want to do is transfer these programs "as is". If I just copy all the relevent files & folders to my new computer, would these new applications just work automatically? If not, is there a method to doing this?

I'm also concerned about having one PowerPC mac and one Intel...will this cause problems for transferring?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Hi tbmmike-
    One thing you can do is boot your iBook in target mode (hold "t" on startup). This will allow your iMac to see it as an external HD. Digging through, you should be able to transfer any and all files you want, as if they were on an external.
    The applications in MacOSX work much alike everything else- they're easy. When you see an app, what you're really seeing is the folder that makes up that entire application, rather than the .exe file, as in Windoze. Basically, for most everything (save for some pro apps) you should be able to drag applications from your iBook's Applications folder into the one on your iMac.

3. tbmmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! I will give this a try. I also have an external drive if that can come in handy.

If I want to do this for apps that have several support files - logic express, for example - is it as simple as also copying the ~/library/application support folders and other related folders/files?

Thanks!

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Have you looked into Migration Assistant, which is the application that comes on your Mac for just this purpose? Yes, it will transfer everything on your G4 iBook to your new iMac. Your iMac will be a clone, from what I understand. I used it to transfer from my iBook to my Powerbook and everything worked fine for me.

I'm sure you could find more information on the Apple site, too.

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

If this is a new iMac, I suggest you NOT do this (The migration assistant) People have had issues in the past with the Migration assistant copying over PPC apps, which then run in Rosetta on the intel Mac. I'm talking about iLife apps and other apps included with the OS.

Instead, go the Target disk mode route and copy files manually.

6. Harris Henderso macrumors newbie

did this work

I just wanted to make sure that this works: I'm particularly concerned that I'll lose Office for mac b/c i got the license from my old boss a few years ago and don't want to have to re-purchase...but really need to upgrade to an intel mac (I've gone back to school and exam software doesn't run on a mac -- ridiculous, but i digress: unless you have any advice about getting examsoft to run in OSX).
    thanks
    hh

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My copies of Office migrated from PPC to PPC computer using Migration Assistant. However, if both computers are up and running, only one can use Office at a time.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I didn't see this issue when I copied from a PPC mini to a MBP, and that was almost a year ago :confused: My MBP kept its Intel native apps in tact.

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Hmm.. Perhaps this issue, has been resolved, then. I remember reading about it when the MBP first came out.