Transferring Applications to New Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Candide7, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Candide7 macrumors newbie

So I just bought a new rMBP, and am trying to figure out how to go about transferring my important applications and files from my old MBP to my new one.

I don't want to use migration assistant because I only have a wireless connection option (no ethernet port on the rMBP and I don't want to buy an adaptor), and that takes DAYS.

Is it possible for me to put the important apps and files (CivV and iWork, mainly, plus various docs and pdfs) on a thumb drive and just transfer it over that way? As long as the drive is big enough? Will I run into license issues with pages or Civ if I do it this way?

Or is there another, better, way to do it?

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Ideally.....

a clone from your Applications folder with CCC or another clone utility will suffice.....

:):apple:

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just backup the old machine to an external USB disk with Time Machine then use that backup as the source for the Migration Assistant import.

Before you do the import, make sure you have not already created the same account on the new machine as MA will try to import the old account of the same name into that account and make a mess.

You may be able to just drag over some apps on a USB key like you mentioned, but some apps that won't work. There is no definitive answer on this. It varies from app to app.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Days?

Wireless takes days? I've transferred, wirelessly, an entire TM backup from a hard drive connected to an airport extreme to my MBA overnight.

About 110 gigs.