transferring applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo8, Mar 12, 2009.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Just bought a new Imac and am transferring over my files and such, and not sure how i can go about moving my applications.. Mainly Photoshop and LightRoom. I dont have the packaging or codes anymore so Im kinda stumped. When I started the computer up it have me a prompt to transfer via firewire, but since I dont have a cable I skipped it thinking I could just load them on my external and be good.. Wrong. CS4 gives me some prompt saying something about adobe applications support. :confused:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What do you have at your disposal? Any external hard drives?

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Time Machine backup to external hard drive

Time Machine Restore to new iMac
    :)

By the way i can copy my CS4 from one computer to another just by dragging the icons out one App folder and into the new one, i did it earlier today when i got my new Mac Pro.

4. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 640gig mybook.. The computer Im moving stuff from doesnt have time machine on it though.. :confused: When I tried to move cs4 to it and then drop it from the external to the applications folder on the new imac it woked fine but then gave me an error when I opened a file. said

"fatel error-missing component"

Then under it

"/library/application support/adobe/adobe version Cue CS4/Client/4.0.0/versionCue.framework" :confused:

5. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, now I cant get either computer to recognize the external :(

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your old computer's hard drive to the MyBook, connect it to the new iMac, then boot holding the option key. Select the MyBook from the boot menu. Once you're up and running, launch Disk Utility and format the iMac's hard drive. Run Carbon Copy Cloner again and use it to clone the data from the MyBook onto the iMac.

(It's better if you can erase the MyBook first.)

Uh-oh, that's troubling...

7. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ill have to try that if my mybook comes back to life.... The blue light is just stuck on in one position, and its not even hooked up to a computer. Just power :(