transferring apps/system from usb external to new mbp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sagnier, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sagnier macrumors regular

iv removed my old hard drive from my macbook (which i have sold) and am about to buy a new 13"mbp. unfortunately i couldn't buy the new machine before selling the old, so im presented with a problem... i could just install the disk in the new machine (its a 320gb 7200rpm, so in the long-term i'll be doing this in any case), but i'll want iLife 09 on there, and its possible there are system files that are required for the new machine that wont be on my old system (10.5.7, from a 2007 macbook).

The main thing is that i want all my files, and applications and settings, plugins etc on the new mbp, but because i dont have the old laptop i cant use migration assistant. the disk is in a usb enclosure currently.

So, do i install the old disk and then try and update iLife, or will i run into problems? Or, can i transfer my applications and all their settings via some other means? i have a (full!) lacie firewire external which i could perhaps employ.

thanks

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You have your old hard drive in a USB external enclosure?

Get the new machine, plug the USB enclosure into it, start it up, and when it asks, transfer everything over. Migration Assistant will work fine (which is what is used when transferring over with a new machine). This will keep iLife 09 on it, but it will transfer all your files, Applications that aren't on the new machine, prefs, etc.

3. sagnier thread starter macrumors regular

and what will happen if i replace the stock drive with my external (the old macbook upgrade) and then try to update the OS and iLife? Will my mbp even work without the OS that came with it? I want that drive in there eventually - the stock drive is too small, and slower.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Honestly, I have no idea. But I'd try what I suggested, get the new computer working properly, then clone the drive back to your original drive and put it in the new computer. That's my recommendation, anyway. You might be able to just put it in now and be fine, though. I've just never tried that before.