Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lihkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Got my 15 PM and had some issues transferring my number to the new device (I opted to get a device for any carrier). AT&T kept saying this could not be done online and I needed to call the carrier (which of course has tremendous wait times). I then thought that maybe my pending bill (on autopay) was the reason as there was the last month's outstanding balance. So I paid it off and voila - the number transferred. AT&T is so crazy to not just show a blurb saying pay the balance off (in any event, why does that even matter when I am staying with the same carrier and have auto pay enabled?).

Just an FYI for those that might face this issue. Pay the bill off and then try.

Lihkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Usually, the eSIM transfer is automatic when you set up the new phone.

I think you mean if you purchase it using the same carrier - that one is automatic. I bought one that was not tied to one carrier.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I never had to interact with my carrier at all. Apple iPhone setup transfers the eSIM from old phone to new phone.

SkyIntro

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
I had issues too.

I had a 13 Pro. I converted my physical SIM to an eSIM before I upgraded to a 14 Pro. When I migrated my phones I had no issues at all.

When I got my 15 Pro today I constantly got error messages when trying to switch my eSIM to my new phone. I tried a few times, updated iOS on both devices, tried multiple networks, etc. Eventually I had to skip it in the setup assistant and call ATT.

When I called the voice assistant texted me a link that allowed me to input some info to move the eSIM in their system.

Thankfully they let me do it on their website and not have to wait to speak with an agent.

Lihkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I had issues too.

I had a 13 Pro. I converted my physical SIM to an eSIM before I upgraded to a 14 Pro. When I migrated my phones I had no issues at all.

When I got my 15 Pro today I constantly got error messages when trying to switch my eSIM to my new phone. I tried a few times, updated iOS on both devices, tried multiple networks, etc. Eventually I had to skip it in the setup assistant and call ATT.

When I called the voice assistant texted me a link that allowed me to input some info to move the eSIM in their system.

Thankfully they let me do it on their website and not have to wait to speak with an agent.

Interesting. Care you elaborate on what information you were asked to input? Might be helpful for others. Thanks.

SkyIntro

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Interesting. Care you elaborate on what information you were asked to input? Might be helpful for others. Thanks.
i don’t want to name specifics for security, but ATT’s portal seems like a manual way of inputting the data your phone would have sent them if the setup assistant flow didn’t fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.