Transferring at&t unlimited plan to Ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by moxier, Mar 14, 2011.

1. moxier macrumors regular

moxier

Has anyone yet made the transfer of the unlimited data plan of at&t from their Ipad 1 to Ipad 2 yet? :confused:

2. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I did it on friday, just swap Sim cards and call them so you can give them the new IMEI, reboot the both iPads and you are set...

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yes, call AT&T and tell them you are transferring to the iPad 2. They will ask for the IMEI number. It shouldn't take long. They are getting lots of calls about transferring so the reps should know what to do.

4. moxier thread starter macrumors regular

moxier

Change SIM card?

Does the at&t rep tell you to change the sim card? :confused:

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

No, you shouldn't have to change the sim card. They simply tie the new sim card in the iPad 2 to your account. If you sell or give your iPad 1 to someone else, its best to pull the sim card and let them get a new one when they activate their own account.

6. makingmusic macrumors regular

I just hung up from AT&T and although they suggest you remove your old SIM before selling your iPad 1, they help you transfer your unlimited service from iPad 1 to iPad 2 without switching SIM cards. Guess what! There is a website so you can do this on your own - www.att.com/ipadlanding

Once on the webpage, you want to log in (the same email and password you used on your iPad to check your account) and then have to update both your IMEI and ICCID numbers.

Be careful - if you have unlimited, the lady said she grandfathered me back in while I was making the changes online. Also, suggested that I check on my billing date to be sure the system carries the unlimited plan over next month. I have 7 days to verify this after the billing cycle.

Very nice; very helpful!

7. moxier thread starter macrumors regular

moxier

8. tekniklyrawly macrumors member

I did not have to call or talk to anyone five minutes after i actually got my reciept, i opened up the ipad2, connected it to my MBP, and then put in my SIM
    and immediately I had unlimited.....and Yes now my ipad1 has no SIM no 3G

9. moxier thread starter macrumors regular

moxier

Just change the sim card? That's all? :confused:

10. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Even works if you use an adapter to make a data only iPhone, etc. but still have to be careful or risk waving bye bye to your plan. Can activate other Sim cards on iPad too (from what I remember reading forums) for data only plans after cutting them down and adapting them back. Probably semi useful for gps tracking dog collars that work via SMS messages.

11. moxier thread starter macrumors regular

moxier

No need to change sim card.... I rec'd my Ipad2 yesterday ..... went to site that is provided above in this thread & simply typed in my new #s and presto bingo it was done..... unlimited plan still in tact! :)

12. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Today, I called an AT&T rep who said that I only need to swap sim cards. I did, and it works, but I'm worried that this may not be the proper solution. If I put my new sim card back in and go to the website and change the IMEI and ICCID numbers, I wonder if that will cause me problems?

I'm so paranoid about losing my plan.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Dont change those numbers online. Call and let AT&T do it. My unlimited plan switch went great at first. I went to the ATT store and they swapped SIMs. Then later that night I went online and updated my information (IMEI/ICCID). Not long after my iPad 2 3G stopped working. Tech support was gone at that point so I called Sunday morning. Ultimately what fixed it was to switch the SIM cards back and then it worked. So I would just call AT&T and let them update the information. That what the store people told me to do but I thought it was easier doing it online myself.

Call and reach out and touch someone instead!!!!

14. dawgfang macrumors member

Apple's own website says just swap the sim cards. Wish I had a link.
    That's what I did and it worked fine. :)

15. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Thanks for the info. So far the swap has worked, and I haven't changed the relevant numbers online or on the phone. My plan is due to renew in 4 days, so I hope it goes well. I'll probably call another rep today to see if I get the same answer.

16. gigaguy macrumors 65816

It's best to go ahead and call ATT and give them the IMEI # associated with your new iPad so the records will have the SIM matched to the device.
    And check that the SSICD? # on your iPad is what they have on the record.

17. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Did the same a few days ago - the call is important because you want them to have the right IMEI - anyways - everything is perfect now :)

18. vegastime macrumors regular

What phone number are you guys using when you call?

(800) 331-0500?

19. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

So which is it guys, switch the SIMS, call att or go to the website to enter new info to keep unlimited plan?

If I switch SIMS, should I do this even before I turn on the new iPad2?

If I remember correctly I couldn't get past the signup page when activating my iPad1 at home last year.

Expecting my iPad2 to be delivered this afternoon and want it to go as slick as possible.

20. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Go to the website and update your account with the new IMEI and ICCID of your iPad 2.

After that it may/will be neccessary to go to 'settings'; 'general'; 'reset' and do a 'reset network settings'

You'll be good to go.

21. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Was easy enough to do. I have 1 more day before end of the period and charged again. So, hopefully it sticks...