Transferring avi and srt files to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aphra, Jun 15, 2010.

1. aphra macrumors newbie

I have a 90-minute classic Italian film on an avi file. I have the subtitles on an srt file. I have put them both into a folder with the same name and can play the movie with subtitles perfectly using VLC player.

Now I want to transfer film and subtitles and burn them to a DVD-R or Divx to play on my DVD player.

I am using OS 10.4.11 and Toast 7 v. 7.1.

Can anybody please give me a step by step guide to how to achieve this?

Thankyou for any help.

2. dhd macrumors member

dhd

Try ffmpegx. It's free and will do what you need. The options listed by spinnerlys are good as well.

Good luck!

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have an ancient version of Toast. I don't know about Toast 7, but most recent versions are bundled with the DivX codec which will allow you to burn DivX-encoded .avi files as standard DVDs.

If you don't want to upgrade to a version of Toast that fits your needs, then you should be able to do the trick with DivX Pro and iDVD which ships with every Mac including yours.

4. aphra thread starter macrumors newbie

Response to Spinnerleys about AVI to DivX

Then use Burn to make a video DVD or data DVD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the various URLS. I have tried them all, but only FFMPEGX seems to be able to do the conversaion. I have managed to do a modern German film successfully - more by trial and error than anything - but the Italian film in Academy format (4 x3), with srt titles on a separate file, continues to infuriate me. I have tried again and again and cannot get the avi and srt files to transfer together. On one of the URLS somebody called Eusebius, who does not have a mail link to the page says 'I usually choose xvid or divx". Yes, but there are more than one of each of these to choose from. Would it be possible to run through the process, please. I can get past the first page plus my password, but after entering what I think is correct information on the boxes cannot get any file downloaded, let alone a Divx disc made - from which I can burn an ordinary DVD-R to give to friends.
    I can view subtitles and film perfectly well with VLC, but I want to be able to view on an ordinary TV.

Help, please! Thanks.