Transferring backed up data to new phone: iCloud vs iTunes vs new iOS 11 transfer feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knightcastle, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Now iCloud backups are encrypted and supplemented by the new feature in iOS 11 that transfers settings (inc email accounts and WiFi passwords?) is there any real need to favour iTunes backups over iCloud when transferring data?

What are the pros/cons of digging the MacBook & usb cable out?

2. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

I did the side by side transfer or whatever it's called (via Bluetooth) and it was remarkable. Everything was there, wi-fi passwords and logins for apps, etc. Only one I found it didn't have was my online banking app login which is probably a good thing.
    Apart from that, it was seamless.

3. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Following that presumably when prompted you restored from iCloud?

4. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Yes that's right. Not entirely sure what's transferred over Bluetooth

5. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Agreed. This was awesome when i was setting my 8+ up earlier today.

6. brgjoe macrumors regular

I have never transferred from iPhone to iPhone before (my iPhone 6 was my first ever venture into the iPhone world).

I only have the free 5GB(?) iCloud service. So does that mean I won't be able to use that IOS 11 thingie to set up my new iPhone? And that means I will have to use my PC to transfer everything over instead?

7. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Once it’s done the initial transfer it will ask what backup you want to restore from.

If you don’t have a recent iCloud one it prompts you to backup further or use something else (or not restore at all)

I’ve no idea if you click “don’t restore at all” how much has come across at this point, presumably just settings (but then does that include email accounts, Apple Pay, etc)?

8. 0970373 Suspended

I always have to backup & restore via iTunes as I want to retain my Health data which requires an encrypted iTunes backup. I think that is still required. If it isn't, let me know!

9. Knightcastle thread starter macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

I think it’s included on iCloud now

Attached Files:

10. 0970373 Suspended

Nice. I had just gotten so used to weekly iTunes encrypted backups + standard iCloud. But Also found here:

I guess backing it up while locked encrypts it?