Transferring Bootcamp Partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MitchellMck, Dec 3, 2011.

1. MitchellMck macrumors member

Hey guys,

So right now I have a 2007 MacBook that contains a copy of Windows 7 (totally legal with a product key) that runs via Bootcamp. I've ordered a brand spanking new MacBook Pro and the only thing I'm worried about is transferring the activated copy of Windows over to it. How would I go about doing this? Would I just install Windows on the new MacBook and enter the product key there or is it not as easy as that?

Many thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It will work if you just install it and activate it. You'll need to transfer data manually though.

3. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's great! Will the copy that was previosuly activated be deactivated?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It likely will be

5. MJL macrumors 6502a

If you bought an OEM version then you may be in trouble; only the retail version can be legally transferred. ( MSN keeps a record of the hardware and if it is an OEM version then likely it will not activate on another platform. )

The retail version will happily be reactivated on another computer but it will not work on two computers at the same time.

You can use the built in backup and restore to backup your data and restore it on another computer - personally I prefer to have more control and copy it manually. If you are using Outlook don't forget the hidden data files (normally not visible, you'll have to change the settings in windows explorer to see that)

6. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Gladly I bought the retail version as it was a toss of a coin whether to buy that or the OEM! Many thanks guys.

7. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I have not seen that with OEM.

You have to sometimes dial in with a telephone and use the generated keys and in return microsoft generates an activation code back.

It usually asks how many computers has this copy of windows ( or office etc ) been activated on.

From what I have seen I don't think microsoft really treats OEM activations differently from regular activations.