Transferring calendars from 3G to 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kevsource, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Kevsource macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My wife has an iPhone 3G with IOS 3x. Tonight I bought her an iPhone 4S and ALL she cares about is making sure her calendars and contacts transfer from the 3G to the 4S. Her 3G has the latest versions of both her contacts and calendars.

The person who helped us with the 4S purchase at the Apple Store said moving contacts was a cinch, but not calendars, and wouldn't even try it.

Out of fear of losing data, we haven't synced or updated her 3G phone in a really long time. Heck, when we migrated her data from MobileMe to iCloud, we lost all her contacts in the transfer and Apple couldn't get them back. Dandy.

Anyway, we did a backup of her 3G in iTunes as many online advised us to do, plugged in her 4S, told iTunes to Restore From Backup, and the calendar data wasn't there save for a few birthdays.

I'm gun shy about syncing any of her calendar data from the 3G to iTunes (or iCal or Gooole) for fear that we'll lose her calendars somehow, some way. Anyone out there can assure us that it won't happen, but it'll find a way to happen to us.

At this point, it seems like our only option is to take our Mac and the two phones to the Apple Store and have them help sort out this mess, unless there is a free (not share or trial, FREE) app or piece of software that can help us copy her calendar data from her 3G and then get it to the 4S.

Thanks in advance for reading. Suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers...Kev

2. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

3. Kevsource thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but if I could get my wife's iPhone 3G calendars to her iCloud account, this probably wouldn't be an issue - she'd just sign in to iCloud on her 4S and the calendar items would sync.

These are the times when Apple really tries my patience. Why an iTunes "restore from backup" that purports to back up calendar information doesn't actually do so is frustrating, and the "workarounds" on this issue seem to consist of a zillion steps.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Plug your wife's 3G into your computer and use iTunes to back it up. I'm not talking sync I'm talking click the second or third tab and tell iTunes where to back the calendar up. If iCal is already in use then the only question you should get it to replace or merge. Just read before you click. Then you can restore the 4s from that and backup to the cloud making next time as simple as can be.

5. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

Or if she has a Google account, set that up on both phones and sync calendar and contacts over that. It's how I keep everything in check between my Android phone, MBP and iPad.