transferring cassette tapes to cd

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kindlykritter, May 7, 2011.

1. kindlykritter macrumors newbie

kindlykritter

Can I transfer cassette tapes to cd's on an imac? If so, how do I do it, step by step?

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

3. kindlykritter thread starter macrumors newbie

kindlykritter

I don't know how to record on Garage Band. I'm trying to record musical tapes onto my computer, not create a song.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I know you are not trying to create a song.
    I only used garage band as an example because it can record from a line in/mic source. It doesn't have to be garage band.. It is included with your mac and you don't have to download any extra software that is why I suggested it.

Audicity is another option for recording audio. It is free and you can get it from
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

5. kindlykritter thread starter macrumors newbie

kindlykritter

Thanks. I understand. But I don't know how to use Audacity either.

I hooked everything up the way they say but the tapes just don't record. There's just a flat line.

The cassette is old music I recorded off a radio station. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. But the line is flat on both GarageBand and Audacity.

I need somebody to walk me through this to make sure I'm clicking all the right buttons. I thought I'd call Radio Shack.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

I use the USB-based iMic as listed in the above step-by-step procedure. I did not have audio input on my Mini. It's worked well for me. The one thing is I don't hear anything as it's being recorded (I do not have a flat line though as it's recording which to me suggests you are not getting sound in to your computer), the recorded files though, come through loud and clear. I record using the Final Vinyl software that comes free with the iMic, but I second GarageBand as a free and perfectly suitable option.

Might I suggest checking your input on your Sounds control panel within Settings? Make sure you have "Audio line-in port" selected. This is probably your problem, assuming you have everything plugged in properly.