Transferring cellular service from series 3 to 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lonman06, Sep 28, 2018.

1. lonman06 macrumors regular

any advice on the best way to do this? I would hate to have to lay the activation fee on Verizon again.

2. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

When you unpair the series 3 it will ask you if you want to keep your plan. Make sure you keep your plan. When setting up the Series 4 it will ask you if you want to transfer your existing plan. This is the way it worked for me on Verizon and it seamless

3. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

Great thanks!

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Lol, I am on at&t and I chose to Remove plan while unpairing, as it removes the plan from the previous watch. And I selected the plan after pairing new watch, seamless as well.

5. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

This way causes an activation fee for setting up a new line instead of transferring the previous line to the new device.

Both ways mentioned by others work. But really the cheapest way is to keep the plan when you unpair and follow the steps to transfer the plan when pairing the new watch.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Gotcha, it didn't for me, just removed the plan from old watch and put same plan on new watch. At&t said no fee, just transfer of service.

7. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Hope you have that in writing from them. Make them stick to their word on your next bill.

8. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

An activation fee maybe, but if you reactivate before there’s a full billing cycle, you don’t get charged. It’s as if you just suspended it and reactivated it.

-Verizon rep

9. rojocrandall macrumors regular

rojocrandall

Switching watches, i.e. unpairing a Series 3 and pairing a 4: when it asks you to keep or remove the plan on your old watch, that has nothing to do with the status of your cellular plan with your provider, it only applies to the status of the plan on your watch. So there will be no reactivation fee if you remove the plan from your watch because you are not removing it from your account.

10. floridonet macrumors regular

11. i hate phones, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018

i hate phones macrumors 6502a

Anyone do this on T-Mobile? I’m about to and don’t want to mess it up. Billing with them can already be a nightmare ;)

Update: made the switch. It was seemless. When unpairing watch, choose to remove cellular plan. Like someone already said, this just removes it from watch, doesn’t actually cancel your line. When pairing new watch and setting up cellular, it brought me to a t-mobile page where it gave me the option to switch my current wearable line to the new watch or to open a new wearable line. Easy peasy.