Transferring contact information to Iphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theslaz, May 13, 2010.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

I have had a Itouch for some time now; now have bought a Iphone. Would like to transfer the information from the Itouch to the Iphone. Is this possible. I know that I can use Itunes for the songs and pictures but what about the contact information. I did not use Outlook to input the information; input was done manually on the Itouch. Also; can the apps be transferred; or do they have to be repurchased??

Thanks in advance.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The only ways to transfer your contact, calendar information between two Apple mobile devices is through a computer both devices are synced with, or through the MobileMe service. It sounds as though you are using Windows, so you'll need to set up Outlook to a point where it will import contacts from your iPod touch so you can sync them to the iPhone through iTunes. The other option is to set up the MobileMe service, and push them from the iPod touch to the cloud, and then enable MobileMe on the iPhone and pull the data back down.

Apps can be transferred via the same method. Transfer purchases from the iPod touch to the computer, and sync to the iPhone, or access the App Store using the same AppleID/iTunes account you made the purchases with, and then re-download them for free on the iPhone.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not exactly. Although it is prudent to sync contacts and other stuff, the OP can just restore from a backup and get his contact, calendar, notes, etc. info on the new device.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Good catch on that aggie. I don't own an iPhone, just an iPod touch so I didn't know if the restore device from backup would work from iPod touch->iPhone or vice versa.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I have transferred the apps; had no problems. I don't use Outlook so I will need some direction here. I opened it and looked at it's "Import" option.
    Could not see anything remotely close to importing from a Itouch.
    The MobileMe service looks like the way to go; just don't like the idea of giving them my credit card info for something that is supposed to be a free trial.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, no, no.

You sync to Outlook. Go to the Info tab in iTunes, look down for the contacts sync, and you should see Outlook as a choice.

Edit: However, this is coming from an iPod Touch, which I don't have. Perhaps, iTunes won't have that choice since it isn't a phone.

7. JAT macrumors 603

8. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw that option in Itunes. I just thought that when it said Sync to Outlook; it meant that the Itouch would sync everything that I had in Outlook to my Itouch. Being that I didn't have anything in Outlook; I was than afraid that I would loose my contact info on my Itouch.

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Unless you checkmark a box in the Info tab to replace the information on the iPod/iPhone, iTunes will merge the information between the computer and the mobile device. You do have to have Outlook set up to the point where it doesn't ask you to go through the setup assistant every time, however, otherwise there is nowhere for the information to reside on the computer. No Outlook profile, no contact/calendar/notes data on the computer.

10. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that I posted a reply to this yesterday. I guess not. I did the sync and everything turned out great; got all the contacts transferred over to the Iphone.
    Thanks

11. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Or if you have gmail, you can sync it with that.

12. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

My Gmail account was the first sync I did. Wasn't afraid to do that one as I had some contact info in that account. Outlook on the other hand had nothing and I was afraid that if I synced with it; I would wind up with nothing!