Transferring Contacts from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac08, Nov 20, 2008.

1. mac08 macrumors newbie

Hi. This is my 1st post. I have recently (i.e. yesterday) switched from PC to Mac and am wondering how to transfer my contacts (currently in Outlook) from my PC to the MacBook. I need to sync my iPhone and want to have contacts set up prior to connecting. Would a CSV file work? Thanks!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes, a CSV file would work (from Address Book menu, File -> Import -> Text File) - I think you have an option to ignore the first contact, since in the CSV export from Outlook the first line contains the field names.

3. mac08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I have prepared a CSV file. Have also got all my other files on an External Drive for transfer tonite.

4. mac08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried the CSV approach. I can see the contacts but they appear in a separate window and not in my Address Book. Any suggestions? Thanks

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Works ok for me. See my screenshot - did click the > to view all the contacts and click "OK"?

Attached Files:

6. mac08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That is exactly how I see it too. However, the contacts aren't saved in my Address Book. So, if I click through my contacts and click "OK", close the window and then open my address book it does not have the contacts in it.