Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniGeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
Hello,

I have an iPad2 as well as a first generation iPad mini. I'll be getting a new iPad mini 4. I have a lot of data on the iPad2, and I would like to be able to transfer all of it, including the data in all of the apps, to the new iPad mini 4. I have noticed that when getting new iPhones and restoring backups to them, my apps and data didn't get restored to the new phone and all of the apps had to be downloaded. I don't want the same issue with the iPad, I actually have a lot of content in some of the apps, such as journals.

I can back up the iPad2 to a Windows computer using iTunes, and then I would restore the content to the new iPad mini 4. What do I need to do to make sure all apps and content get there?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Make sure you run the latest version of iTunes and that you are signed into your Apple ID on the computer before syncing. I'd recommend a dedicated user account, not one that is in use by another person in order to avoid any complications between your purchases and those of someone else. Also, iTunes on PC/Mac allows for an encrypted backup on the hard drive, I always use this option to transfer the maximum amount of data.

Reactions: Cascades42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.