Transferring data at 24p - Canon vixia HF10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spike101, Jul 6, 2008.

1. spike101 macrumors newbie

Has anyone shot footage at 24p, and then tried to transfer it in to final cut or imovie at 24p, using the canan vixia HF10?

Everytime I transfer the footage via final cut and imovie it seems to be at 29.97. That is what the QT's read from both softwares. And also there seems to be fields in the footage.

I was under the impression, the camera shot at 24p with no fields, am I wrong? If so, then
    during the transfer there is a pulldown happening.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. Flore macrumors regular

Final Cut Express does not support 24p Timelines, and I think it is the same with iMovies.

3. mynameisshawn macrumors member

Odd, the FCE user guide does mention 24 fps, but the don't say whether or not its supported.
    I tried my HF10 and like you its being converted to 29.97 fps, don't know whats wrong. :(

4. spike101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Transferring data to 24p

Well, I just found on another forum that the camera in 24p, is adding a pulldown, and to see the 24p you need to edit in 24p, remove the pulldown with in Final Cut.

I have not had a chance to try this myself, but this is what I have found so far. Any feedback welcome.

cheers,
    -spike101

5. Flore macrumors regular

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Canon's consumer cameras record 24p wrapped in a 60i data stream so there are 6 additional frames being added. Pulldown removal, which can be done in various ways ie. Apple's Compressor, Cineform HD, or JESinterlacer, isn't at all necessary if your final product will be on a DVD. If you're outputting for web use, you'll have to remove pulldown.