Transferring data from an iBook to a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by atomheartmother, Jul 12, 2008.

1. atomheartmother macrumors regular

I might be "upgrading" from my iBook G3 to a Powerbook G4 in the near future. How would I go about transferring data from the iBook to the PB? There isn't much that I'd need to transfer. I can transfer all documents and such via a flash drive. However, I have about 8 gigs of music, video, and podcasts. How could I move that over? Can it be transferred by my Touch?

Also, will I be able to use my iTunes purchased media on the PB?

2. El Fragil macrumors newbie

First off: Awesome Screen name.

Second, file transferring should be easy. You'd connect your iBook to the Powerbook with a firewire cable. Turn on the PB. Make sure the iBook is connected to a power source. Turn the iBook on. As soon as you hear the iBook start up, press and hold the T button. This will send the iBook into Target Disk Mode. A firewire symbol will appear on the iBook and the drive will appear on the Powerbook desktop. Drag and drop.

Your iTunes stuff can be transferred and reauthorized. (iTunes purchases can be authorized on up to 5 computers).

I hope this helps. I have recently purchased a MacBook and want to transfer off a Powerbook (PowerPC) and it won't work. Apple doesn't know why. I have a thread on it and people have told me Intel --> PowerPC doesn't work. :(

3. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of your help. I hope your problems get resolved.