Transferring data from broken computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TERM, Sep 7, 2012.

1. TERM macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I recently broke my computer by spilling some liquid on it, and before I send it off to be repaired the guy recommend I have someone transfer all my data for me. I'm a little worried about this just because I get nervous at the thought of someone going through all my files. There's nothing bad or illegal on there, but thinking about someone potentially reading very personal things I've written, etc makes me tense. I just came on here to ask if you guys know if the people that transfer data go into individual folders enough that they can see individual files, or if they just drag and drop the entire folder, or however it works. They'd be doing a time machine back up.

Thanks in advance!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

No, they do not go into individual files. They will likely use a program like Time Machine or carbon copy. If they're professionals they will respect your privacy, but there is always the chance that these guys will browse through your files.

It's safer to just do it yourself.

3. TERM thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I do it myself? Do you have a link you could send me?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Ifixit.com has tons of repair guides. Find your model and pull the HDD. Put the HDD into an enclosure of some sort, and plug it into the USB port on your working computer. Transfer your data.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Go to your local computer shop (Best Buy, radioshack, etc) and purchase a USB enclosure for a 2.5" Sata drive. It's basically a enclosure that you insert your hard drive into and then plug it up via a USB to another computer. You can either boot from it and then use a software like time machine to back it up onto another drive or use it as an external HD and drag your personal files onto your computer and erase the files from the HD.

You would need to open your computer, which I'm assuming is a macbook pro, to remove the hard drive. Here is how to do that :http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...body-Early-2011-Hard-Drive-Replacement/5119/1

You will need a philips screwdriver and t6 torx driver, both of which can be purchased at any local hardware store.

This is not a difficult process and will likely save you $$ instead of getting it done from a computer shop. I know some places charge upwards of $99 to transfer files from a HD

6. TERM thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem is I don't have a working computer as of now. If I did I would have done that. The only computer I have is the one that's broken (I'm using a friends right now, but I couldn't put my data on it). They were going to transfer the data straight to another external drive.

EDIT: By the way, I have a solid state drive if that makes any difference.

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well, you could always transfer the files from the SSD to the external hard drive using your friends computer. And no, SSD will not make a difference.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Why don't you simply remove your SSD and keep it with you, then replace the old hard drive for the trip to the repair shop. That way your data will stay with you, and when your MBPro returns, you can replace the SSD and be back up and running right where you left off.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

hfg ~ For the Win!!

YUp.. Agreed.. If the Liquid Spill is the reason, won't need any more than that!!

** and if somehow you DON'T have the original, I am sure a cheap-asz $40 used HDD will do fine!! **

hfg ~ For the Win!! :cool:

10. TERM thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that's a great idea! Thanks for that!

Thanks for the help everyone!

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Or that, I was assuming that the repair guy for some reason needed the hard drive. Surprised that he himself didn't mention the above suggestion to just keep it.