Transferring data from dead hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VictorianPanda, Mar 29, 2012.

1. VictorianPanda macrumors newbie

Hi! Earlier this year the hard drive in my 2006 Macbook went out completely. Didn't give me a chance, whatsoever. I've tried numerous times to get on it, and different recovery programs. I don't really have money for data recovery, or a program that costs money, and considering none of the free ones could detect my hard drive, I assume it can't be detected. I'm not sure. Anyhow, I recently bought a new Macbook and just realized that I can finally try out that Target Disk Mode I've been so curious about. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that it would work? Or, since the hard drive doesn't show up any other times would it not show up when I connect the two computers? I'm just wondering what are my odds before I buy the firewire cable.

Thanks in advance.

2. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

You're not really making a lot of sense...

You can't afford a recovery program but bought a new MacBook?

Oh, and zero btw... Or you could hang the expense and buy that firewire cable and prove me wrong.

3. VictorianPanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I'm sorry. I guess you couldn't look past that. If you must know, it was bought for me. Sheesh! I swear you people on these Apple sites are douches.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It's likely not going to work..

Sometimes when drives go bad you can rescue your data if they are not in the machine as a boot drive..

Sine you have noting to loose I'd try bumping the drive against my hand gently to see if the jolt moves the read heads.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'd say you have a chance, but the odds aren't in your favor.

I have seen drives fail such that they won't boot, but can be mounted by another computer. There are too many unknowns to give you a complete answer.

I think you have a much better chance of removing the hard drive from the dead 2006 MacBook and then using a SATA to USB converter. Then hook the "dead" drive up to your new MacBook and see if it is recognised. If it mounts, then you can copy the data to your new Mac.

Also, when you say trying Target Disk Mode, which machine would you put in Target Mode?
    Do you want to try and boot the new Mac off of the Old Mac's hard drive?
    Do you want to try and boot the old Mac off of the new Mac's hard drive? <-- try this

If all that's wrong with the 2006 MacBook is the hard drive, then you can spend $75 on a new drive and then sell it for $500.

Some suggestions are more helpful than others. Mileage may vary.

Good luck and welcome!!!