Transferring data from G4 to white imac questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Penelope636, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Penelope636 macrumors member

Have purchased a used white intel core two duo imac. It's not in my posession yet...questions I have once I receive it.

1. Backing up before transferring data...can I use one of those key things (don't know what they are called) that fit into usb port?

2. Once I've backed up, what is best way to connect the two computers for transferring files?

3. My understanding is that by using migration assistant, it will transfer all of those files necessary for a particular application...is this correct, and if so, will it then put those files where they should be?

4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks to all...this is such a great resource, and I do appreciate having a place to go to find good solid information.

Penny

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

3. Penelope636 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...a Flash Drive which can be used for back-up ... Just noticed that Best Buy has one on sale ...4 GB for 12.99.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

1. Most any Flash drive should work (Best Buy is overpriced Newegg has an 8GB for $13)

2. Firewire Cable (get this when ordering your flash drive from Newegg $3, the cheapest Firewire cable from Best Buy that would work is $34:eek: What a rip off!:mad:)

3. It should do this but it also transfers any old data you no longer need and PowerPC programs that may now have an Universal Binary counterpart. I never used it I do backups and transfers manually.

4. Personally I would go for a more manual approach. Set up the computer how you like, reinstall your software (with CD's and the free ones download the latest versions, then boot your G4 in target disk mode (Hold 'T' while booting and connect via Firewire) to manually drag and drop your files. Or you can connect via Ethernet and enable file sharing.

5. Penelope636 thread starter macrumors member

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The one in my hyperlink will work fine. Though if you want another length or brand it needs to be 6 Pin to 6 Pin.

Use migration assistant if you are worried about data loss. Though I would recommend becoming more organized then you no longer have to worry about missing files when switching computers. Personally I have several computers and must be quite organized as I use a centralized location for data storage, thus I need to be able to easily access any document, photo, video or music file from any computer in my house.