Transferring data from ibook to macbook.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by killerofpeas, Nov 16, 2007.

1. killerofpeas macrumors newbie

killerofpeas

I recently received my brand new blackbook as a replacement for my old ibook G4 but i have a problem. I can't seem to move across any of my files etc from my old ibook. First I tried it using an ethernet cable between the two which worked initially, but about a third of the way through transferring my music the connection froze, it did this 3/4 times before I gave up.

I then tried using migration assistant with firewire. I went through all the instructions but for some reason it was 'calculating' for about an hour before I gave up, as I assumed something had gone wrong - it can't take that long to calculate or even transfer all the things I have on there. So after googling around for a bit I tried just doing it manually with firewire. The ibook shows up on the desktop as the firewire icon, it shows all the folders on the hard drive but when trying to go into the folders, nothing shows.

So what can I try now? Am I doing this wrong? I'm getting kind of annoyed now I want to enjoy my new blackbook.

A few additional questions. If i transfer my music over including all the itunes files and copy them to the itunes folder on my new blackbook will it automatically transfer all my playlists and play counts? Or is there another way to do it? Also bookmarks in safari how do i export them? I did it a few years ago when I did a reinstall but I can't remember how, all I remember is using terminal.

If anyone can help with any of this i will be eternally grateful.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If your iBook's drive is on the blink then maybe try transferring smaller amounts of data at a time. Also try to keep the drive cool during the transfers.

Copy your iTunes folder from one machine to another. Open iTunes on the new machine whilst holding OPTION and select this copied library. It should be that easy.

You can export them from the File menu. :)

3. weebird macrumors newbie

Help with Migration

Hi all,

First time I have used a forum, really hope you can help. I purchased a new macbook at the weekend (its lovely) and last night tried to migrate the date from my old ibookG3, it seems to get two thirds the way through and then says it cant do it. I tried again and again, both using the ethernet cable and also wirelessely. I will try again tonight but any suggestions? I also have an iphone and I wondered if I could maybe transfer all my photos/itunes onto that and the transfer from that to the new macbook. So frustrating as usually mac are so easy to use.

Hopeful of Edinburgh
    :)