Transferring data from old iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MilksBrilliant, Jun 6, 2012.

1. MilksBrilliant macrumors newbie

Firstly, I'm glad that new iMac's appear to be coming out anyday soon. I've been waiting with baited breath to purchase a new machine since my late '07 iMac seemingly packed up in February.

Anyway, I have quite a few data files, many images on the old hard drive that I would like to get hold of. Unfortunately, it won't boot past the grey screen and so I can't log in as usual. I've also tried loading in safe mode and from the external disc (OS X Snow Leopard) but to no avail. The computer keeps spitting the disc out after around a minute.

Now I realise this particular machine is cooked as it's been on the brink for sometime - error code suggested a defective fan on the hard drive, however is there a way to access the contents on the hard drive via another iMac? i.e. the one I will be purchasing as and when they are released.

Apologies if this has been asked previously, I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything similar to my current needs.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Try booting into Target Disk Mode by holding the "T" at boot.

If that works, you'll be able to connect the old Mac to the new one via FireWire and it will be recognized as an external drive.

If that doesn't work, you could always tear it open, rip the HDD out and put it into an eternal case.

3. MilksBrilliant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I'll try Target Disk Mode shortly...

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Target Display Mode is the old fashioned method. Why not simply follow the directions in Setup Assistant when you initially turn on the machine. It is much much easier to do. Here are some very detailed instructions on what to expect when the new machine arrives.

http://pondini.org/OSX/SetupLion.html

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Firstly, nobody said anything about Target Display Mode.
    Secondly, the OP's old Mac won't boot up, so the only options he has are hoping Target Disk Mode still works, or disassemble the Mac and get the HDD out.

Those are the two options I proposed in my earlier post.

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

You have time machine or some other form of backups, right? Setup assistant can pull your data from a time machine backup. If you don't have any backups, you might be out of luck as it sounds like your old hard drive is dead. Maybe it's not and you can still get information off of it - best of luck.

I really hate these type of threads where people have important data on an old machine that they don't backup.

7. MilksBrilliant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input so far. Haven't tried booting in target mode yet, however presume that is my only realistic option, other than ripping it out.

Re backups, only until about a year ago, the iMac was a family computer used purely for pleasure, hence no back-up. From a 250GB hard-drive, I probably only utilised around 25GB of space, mainly video and family photos.

Whilst its not a matter of life and death I get all the data back, it would be nice for personal reasons.

Since going self-employed, I have utilised Dropbox to store all my important work data, however since my iMac went kaboom! I purchased a 2TB time capsule which I will utilise with the new iMac, iPhone and iPad shortly.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Well you don't have to be a D..k about it.

9. Scrapula macrumors 6502

When my hard drive failed, I took it to a Mac repair place. He got just about everything off and put it onto a new drive for me. Sometimes, it's easier just to pay someone.

10. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Great link, thanks

11. MilksBrilliant thread starter macrumors newbie

I already asked around, however the only options seemingly available in Japan is to take it to Apple direct. Likely, as they previously did when I had an issue earlier with the HDD, they just swapped it and I lost everything.

Oh, did I not mention that Apple charge a flat fee of JPY50,000, (around $600) to fix the iMac. Why repair a 5yr old machine for that price when you can buy new for a couple hundred more...!

12. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are quite welcome!