Transferring data from old MBP to new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Jul 4, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I too have one of the MBP's that has a yellow tint issue. My local retailer said they'd give me a replacement as soon as they came back into stock.

I have never had experience of transferring all my settings from one MBP to another (all I've done is backed up to external hard drive then copied all my data). I noticed when you first boot up your Mac for the first time, it asks if you want to transfer any data and settings. How reliable is this?

I'd like it to copy all my dock settings, internet favourites, music, pictures, the whole shabang.

To put it into easier english; is it pretty much the same as swapping the hard drives of my new MBP for my old one?

What's the procedure...do I connect via FireWire cable?

2. Jestered macrumors 6502

It will essentially, transfer everything from your old computer to the new. You won't be able to tell a difference. You will have the same network settings, the same desktop pic, the same files on the desktop, the same iPhotos, iTunes, etc... You may have to reinstall a couple of apps and add your printer again, but that is about it.

Very easy to do. It will walk you through it step by step. Yes you need a firewire cable to connect the two computers. It will tell you when to do it and what to do next.

3. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I'd go for a Gigabit Ethernet connection over FireWire and use Migration Assistant.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I would back up all relevant data, start with a fresh account and then move the data back. But maybe that's just me, perhaps not everybody like to try all kinds of things with their computers :)