transferring data from pc to imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sturgeon boy, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sturgeon boy macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

my new Imac arrived yesterday and i was wondering what was the easiest way to transfer all my music,pictures files etc from my old pc to my new mac. my local (150 mile round trip ) apple store will do it for free but if its easy enough i'll do it my self
    cheers in advance

2. kgian macrumors regular

Just copy them to an external usb hard drive connected to the pc. Then connect to hard drive to the mac. If I remember correctly, OSX can READ ntfs partitions but can't write to them. It is going to be fine for your job though...

3. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

Hook up both machines to your LAN (I don't recommend wireless). Run this on your PC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1557

Search for Migration Assistant on your Mac and run that. Your Mac and PC should talk to each other and you'll have to pick what you want to transfer. I had about 300 GB to transfer and it took about 30 min.

4. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Yes, I did this too, it works like a dream considering Microsoft and Apple aren't exactly best friends ;)

5. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

Yes, it was mostly painless. I made the mistake of running it after I had created my account on the Mac, so I had rename the Windows account to transfer, then delete the original Mac account and rename the new one. Wish it could handle transferring/merging accounts of the same name.