Transferring data from Windows 7 to OS 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twodog, Feb 5, 2011.

1. twodog macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newbie to the mac.

I'm trying to transfer many photos and video (200G) into my iMac so that I can attack this monuments task. Thought the nice big 27" screen and Aperture might help motivate me (getting sick of PSE always crashing).

followed all the instructions as per
    http://macs.about.com/od/filesharing/ss/file-sharing-win7-snow-leopard_6.htm

went to my pc and found tha my IPv4 is 10.1.1.2

entered this into my "Server Address" of the "Connect to Server" dialog box. I get connection failed. I followed all steps of the guide.

I'm thinking of just using my 16g stick to transfer the data, but that is a bandaid solution. What is your opinions about doing it by usb stick into Aperture?

Many Thanks

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Maybe you need to install bonjour in the pc.

Why not connecting your Windows hard drive to your Mac directly?

3. twodog thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try and connect the PC to the MAC via the ethernet cable, but I did not see the PC in the FINDER or the imac in "My Computer". What should I be seeing.

I didn't read anywhere on the website (above url) about loading Bonjour. I checked my PC and see that Bonjour is already installed (must have been a piggyback program when I downloaded iTunes). I had a read about Bonjour and thought that it was for "print service" on Windows. I had a look at downloading it but can't see how it is related to this issue.

I forgot to mention previously that I got Vipre Firewall installed and running on my PC, but the DNS, VPN, DHCP are allowed in my network exception's list.

Thanks

4. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Using a USB thumb drive is my preferred way of moving files between Mac and Windows.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You could create the folder in your Mac where you want to save the files you speak of, then in System Preferences>Sharing make sure to turn on File Sharing, and set that folder in your list of shared items. Make sure to click the 'Options' button for File Sharing, and check SMB (samba). Also, just for ease for the initial data move, as long as your network is secure and private, set the privileges to allow everyone to read and write.

If you can't figure out how to get the folder into your File Sharing list (i think it's just drag and drop), you can setup File Sharing in the same way, then select the folder you want to share in Finder, and use the command+i key combo to open the 'Get Info' window. At the bottom of that window you can set permissions, and there is a check box to run on sharing labeled 'Shared' that you can check.

2 ways to do the same thing really.

Then connect to your mac from your windows machine, and start the transfer from your windows machine.