Transferring Data Package

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RobbieBott, Mar 10, 2012.

1. RobbieBott, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

RobbieBott macrumors newbie

I ordered a "new iPad" but I am a lucky one that still has an unlimited data package, from my first generation iPad. When I purchased my iPad 2 all I did was transfer my sim card over to the new iPad data package transferred, simple solution. However with the new iPad needs a 4G/LTE sim card to operate properly, so I was left with a dilemma, I went to AT&T to get a new sim card (so I could put it in my new iPad when it arrives to have my data package simply like I did when I switched from my 1st gen to the 2nd gen.) they said they didn't know how to give me another sim card and maintain my unlimited data. So for the sake or research I purchased a blank new 4G/LTE sim card from AT&T ($27.00 thank you come again). Went home started looking at all my options on the AT&T online account management and on the iPad data connection management area, when I noticed this screen, (I had seen it several times but never read the actual information on it, just entered my email addy and password)which simply states, "You can transfer your existing iPad service to your new device simply by logging in below." Well problem solved (I sure felt like an idiot the AT&T reps should feel even more so) my data package is now transferred to my new 4G/LTE sim card. Some of your readers might have the same question and never realized this screen before so I figured I would pass it along.
    FYI: Don't go out and buy a new 4G/LTE sim the new iPad should come preloaded with one. Just simply sign into your account and it will transfer everything it needs. I am not sure how Verizon's data managment works so I cannot offer any advise.
    Photo 0.jpeg

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Thanks Robbie for this info, I am sure someone will find it useful.
    Somebody didn't read the OPs post

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Sounds too good to be true.

Someone will be giving me their iPad 1 sim card when I get my iPad 3. Can anyone confirm / add to this? I'm really afraid I'll mess up the plan. :D

5. RobbieBott thread starter macrumors newbie

Not the sim that matters

It's not so much the sim that matters (in my experience)its the email address and password to access the data package options, and also to activate the new sim. Once you have that you can login and change billing info, service address and etc.

6. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

8. RobbieBott thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

You are correct AT&T's 4G/LTE sim cards are backwards compatible as even non 4G/LTE devices will have there sim cards replaced by them if yours becomes damaged/ goes out etc. There inventory has been completely replaced with these new sim cards.

9. thefreeagent macrumors member

Soooo....

...my question is, did you only notice the "transfer existing service by logging in below" message after you'd replaced the sim card, because my iPad 2 does not display that message (and, I don't think it ever did)?
    Thanks for the great post, btw, I'm just hoping to clarify what your experience with this was....

10. RobbieBott thread starter macrumors newbie

Inactive Sim VS. Active Sim

If you have a sim card installed without a active data plan on it you will simply receive this screen:
    Inactive 1.PNG
    And if you click "Existing Customer" you will get this screen with the transfer option:
    Inactive 2.PNG
    If you have a sim card installed with an active data package you will receive this screen simply with the option to sign in:
    Active Sim.PNG

So when the new iPad arrives it should/will have an inactive sim card so you should receive the screen with the option to transfer.

11. thefreeagent macrumors member

This is awesome! Very helpful info, and I really appreciate you posting this! I can't wait till Friday so I can open up the new iPrecious...I mean, the new iPad to give this a try. Am especially happy that I'll be able to transfer my original unlimited plan, and your post has helped to clarify how to go about doing it. Thanks again!

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful. I hope it works on Friday.....when I was in an ATT store Saturday, they had no clue how to move my unlimited data plan to my new iPad. If I can do this without their involvement, it would be marvelous!!!! Thank you.

13. pdawg macrumors regular

I was at the local Apple store, and they had no clue how to do this either. Thankfully we have this forum of experienced people! I am also one of the unlimited checking on this on Friday.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

15. cschmelz macrumors 6502

me as well...Just logged in, option to keep unlimited data was pre-checked. Click next and off you go.

Piece o cake. No SIM swaps, no drama.