Transferring data to a new Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skinnylegs, Oct 27, 2008.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I just got a new MBP and I was wondering what the easiest way is to transfer files from the old computer (iMac) to the new MBP? Can I plug an ethernet cable in both computers and will this work or should I do it via FireWire or USB or what?

Thanks in advance.

2. deriko100 macrumors 6502

So you decided on getting the MBP ey, oh and firewire is the best way.

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Well, I got a used MBP on Craigslist. I think I got a 'smokin deal. 4 gigs of RAM and AppleCare until 2011 for $1400. :) It is only 5 months old and pristine.

So...I buy a dual FireWire cable and hook 'em up eh?

4. bananabar macrumors regular

I do firewire and start up the old on in target disk mode and then just drag and drop my home folder.

5. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

You can drag and drop a home folder? Really? Does that essentially clone your preferences from the old computer?

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

i am wondering this as well, but i would be going from a PC to the MBP. Would the MBP see the PC as an external HDD? will this even work? i have loads of music on the Dell.....

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I posted a reply to a similar question here a while back. Post #4

8. bananabar macrumors regular

Sorry, no it doesn't - it just moves all your files/music/videos etc. But I find fiddling around with all the prefs and settings the best bit about getting a new computer...!

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just use Migration Assistant in the setup or in Utilities if you have already set it up.

Target Disk Mode is used to access data from another Mac when you cant boot.

10. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Target Disk Mode enables a second computer's drive as an external FW drive. In this mode any files and folders can be transferred, leaving the OS on the second drive intact if you wish.

Just did it using a Power Mac as host and an iMac as the target drive, moving some .rtfs and .jpgs between them.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yeh access your Mac's hard drive from another Mac… as i said. but this requires you knowing exactly which files & apps you need to copy over.

Migration Assistant does it all for you.

12. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

firewire. migration assistant from applications>utilities is where it is at, or Spotlight it. migration assistant will guide you through the process.