Transferring data to a new MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcmofo, Sep 3, 2014.

1. pcmofo macrumors member

pcmofo

I have a 2011 Mac Mini with a HDD with my data on it and a SSD with my OS/Apps. I am ordering a new MBPr 13" with 512gb SSD and I want to transfer my data to it. I have a few questions.

1) What is the best method of file transfer? (considering my Mini has a FW800, network, and TB1 port, and the MBPr has only a TB1 port, and I have no adaptors or TB cables) My wifes' MBPr transfer took about 12 hours over wifi from her remote TM backup.

2) What software/tools should I use to transfer the files considering my multi-hard drive setup? Normally I would use the Migration Utility to migrate my info and settings, but in this case would it only grab the stuff from the SSD or also the files and data from the HDD as well? If it grabs both would it put it in the correct place on the new single SSD in the MBPr?

I also have a CCC backup and a shared network storage server. Currently I do not use Time Machine on the Mini and instead make CCC clones of the drives to the network server.

Can anyone provide some ideas as how to best get my data onto my new Mac?

2. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

You may not want to hear this, but when going from an older OS, etc., I think it is better to just install the software that you want, and move files over manually via the network.

You can share the files from System / Sharing and then just move over data files that you want to keep.

If you have a wireless network, this should be all that you need. It is not lighting quick, but I moved over 40 GB in various pieces and it did not take me that long.

R

3. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

I appreciate your response. I have thought about manually transferring the files to my server then back down to the mac. I would prefer it if I could keep some of my apps and setting preferences intact if possible. I have no problem copying over the HDD contents which contain my User files like pictures/documents etc as long as the SSD data that contains the OS and App data transfer correctly. The OS would of course both be running the same version. I've just done so much tweaking it would be tough to remember and recreate all the apps and settings identically.

4. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo