transferring data to new iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by csonni, Nov 30, 2008.

1. csonni macrumors newbie

I am now the owner (won on eBay) of a 2nd generation iPod Touch and will be handing over my previous Touch to my son. I need to know what the best way is to transfer over all the data/info from the old one to the new. Would that be through iTunes? I would then reset the old Touch for the family. Also, will my son be able to both sync his iPod Shuffle and the iPod Touch on his account in iTunes?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

For the last question, it doesn't matter how many iPods you sync through one account. I've synced three iPod touch's, a classic and two nanos through mine.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Yes, through iTunes. You won't actually transfer anything from the old one to the new one, you'll just sync the new one with your iTunes library the same as you did with the old one. Unfortunately, I think that some info that's stored on your old one, like notes, settings, saved games, etc. -- things that don't get synced back to your iTunes library -- will be lost. I suppose the 'back up' function that happens when you sync may be a way to preserve that data, but I don't think Apple built in a way to use the backup to set up a new device.

4. csonni thread starter macrumors newbie

Can one just re-download the apps that were purchased through iTunes and reinstall? I'd rather start fresh. Syncing will take care of my iCal data and AddressBook (Mac).

5. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

You could backup the ipod then right click the new device in iTunes and Restore as a backup and your old backup should be in the backup list. And yes you could re-download the apps

6. csonni thread starter macrumors newbie

How exactly do you download them again without having your credit card charged?

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The iTunes Music Store knows that you've already paid for them, and when you download them again from a computer (or portable device) that's authorized on your account the ITMS should acknowledge that you've already bought them and allow you to download them again for free.

8. csonni thread starter macrumors newbie

I've checked the User Manual, but it's a bit vague on how to totally reset the iPod Touch to where it is just as new with no user name, etc. Is that done by simply Restore through iTunes? I want my son to have it as if it was new when I received it. This is what I've found in the manual:
    Erase all content and settings: Connect iPod touch to your computer or a power
    adapter. Choose General > Reset and tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
    This feature resets all settings to their defaults and removes all your information and
    media on your iPod touch by overwriting the data stored on iPod touch.

I suppose this is the way to totally restore it?

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Just plug it in and hit Restore in iTunes. That's it.

10. csonni thread starter macrumors newbie

11. csonni thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got my 2G iPod Touch. I want to download the several apps I purchased for my previous iPod Touch. I don't want to click "Buy" in fear of getting charged again. Where would I go in iTunes to download those apps that I already paid for?

12. csonni thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind. Silly. They're all right there in my Applications tab for syncing.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you had to download them again you wouldn't get charged. After you select "buy", a window would appear saying that "You have already purchased this item, to download again for free click OK".