Transferring documents to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Supersonic, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Supersonic macrumors regular

A friend who is contemplating an iPad purchase asked me last night how he'd resolve a potential problem, and I couldn't work it out...

He currently creates quite large Powerpoint docs on our works PC network. by the sound of it, in the region of 40 or 50mb, with images and all sorts of stuff. So big, he is unable to email the finished document out as there is an email celing of what we think is 10mb. Otherwise we'd just email it to himself and the job is done. He then would plug iPad into any projector at a location he's at and thats it....

WiFi is a no-go as the IT guys won't allow the iPad 'into' the corporate network.

I had thought of DropBox, but again....IT wont allow unauthorised apps on their Windows systems.

My colleague thought of a USB stick, as he can use those and take files off, but I can't then get them onto the iPad as my understanding is that the iPad will need to be jailbroken (not really what he wants to do)

I'm stumped for an idea....anyone got anything i've not thought of

2. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

I can access Dropbox through the web browser, unless the IT filter blocks it.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

1. Purchase GoodReader
    2. Purchase Keynote
    3. Import the PPT files into GoodReader either by the URL or through iTunes
    4. Open the PPT file in GoodReader then select it to open in Keynote
    5 Use Keynote to play the presentation via the video output on the iPad .

4. Supersonic thread starter macrumors regular

But, DropBox requires an App to be downloaded, then installed on the PC does it not? If so, I can't install apps on the works PC's

I use it myself on the Mac, and have it in the dock, does it work the same on the PC too? (im not a PC person, i don't know how it'd work on Win XP)

----------

Im not following this one im afraid...

How does it address getting the PPT files off/out of the source PC?

5. Bob Maxey macrumors member

Keep in mind that some MS Office documents (perhaps PPTs?) do not always translate well due to the font substitution issues and iOS. I would run a test to see how it looks when opened on the iPad and see what (if anything) has changed. Perhaps nothing changes and perhaps it screws it up. The last thing you want is a goofy looking PPT Presentation.

Here is a little more info:

http://goodiware.com/gr-man-general.html#limitations

I jailbreak so I can put PPT files on a flash drive or MicroSD Cards but I discovered a far better way.

You can easily do what you need to do if you JB the iPad and since you say you cannot use WiFi, you must have the file on the iPad. You can also sync files with a USB cable through iTunes. PPT files will open in Keynote.

Now, here is my current solution to all of these "WiFi-less/ must JB so it wont work" issues and complaints. Spend the best 99.00 you will ever spend on an accessory and procure an AirStash wireless WiFi external drive. God, I sound like a shill because I hype this amazing device all over the web. Not a shill, just excited.

Expandable through memory cards, and it creates a WiFi connection with your iPad thanks to the built-in WiFi Router. It also streams media thanks to the incorporated media server. It uses cheap memory cards so a terabyte of data will fit in your briefcase if you need it. Yes, too many SD cards, but still . . .

Simply load the PPT into the drive from your PC/Mac, turn it on, and it puts an icon on your iPad "Desktop." Click that, select the file, and you are good to go. No WiFi needed, no cables, a free app from the App Store, and no file limits in either size or (for the most part) type.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

GoodReader can download PPT files from the internet. Put it on the web server ?
    Or sync it from the PC to the iPad.

7. Bob Maxey macrumors member

You do not really need the DropBox application because you can access your files from the web. When you open it from Safari on your iPad, it will show your folders and files. The files can be opened from your iPad.

You can also install DropBox on your iPad or your PC if you want.

But you need an Internet connection. The local DB app does not store files.

8. Vindicator macrumors member

PC part: You can upload file to Dropbox from browser, no need to install dropbox software.

iPad part: You can download file from Dropbox app and "open-in" to another app, or just get a public link and "open-in" direct from Safari, or use Goodreader, ReaddleDocs,... for sync dropbox folder and more convenient file management :D

About app for ppt file, I don't know alot but you can try Keynote, QuickOffice, Documents To Go.

sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

A lot of the recent reply's are not thinking about the restrictions already mentioned.

1. DropBox (http/https url).
    - this will work if the business/corp does NOT have this blocked through a web filter placed behind the firewall and intercepts requests to the internet.

2. GoodReader
    - this can work using iTunes, if the user has admin/power user rights to install this application in the first place. Connect iPad to PC, iTunes launches automatically (or launch it if user disabled this), and on Info tab (I believe) you can select GoodReader and the Browse button to select local files to load into the iPad ... ALL over USB.
    - Remember the host stated that WiFi is not allowed since local IT does not permit this.

OP ... unless you/your friend works for a national financial institution, I suggest approaching your manager with lots of documentation of consumerization and plead to approach IT to be better prepared for alternatives before users find a way to circumvent security. Right now it would seem that security/IT are doing lots of restrictions; is there NO guests/consultants/contractors that are on the premises and allowed just internet access to perform their work?! Think Auditors - reports should not be taken by internal auditors only if the company is publicly traded.

Just a thought.

10. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Download Goodreader on the iPad and then Google GoodreaderUSB. With GoodreaderUSB you don't need to have iTunes installed as GUSB allows you access Goodreader on the iPad without needing iTunes.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

1. Put files on USB stick
    2. Go home
    3. Use home computer to sideload into GoodReader (through iTunes), put files into Dropbox, or any other way you want to do it :)

If he absolutely must do it at work, cannot bring his own laptop to work, and cannot convince the IT guys to help him out, then he can go through the Dropbox website to upload it. No app installation needed.