Transferring DVD's onto my HD/Cloud

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwlbel, Jul 16, 2017.

1. jwlbel macrumors regular

I am downsizing and I have a ton of DVD's that I have bought over the years. I don't have the storage space for them any longer but I like to still watch them from time to time. Years ago, I imported all my store bought CD's onto my hard drive/iTunes. How would I do that with DVD's?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Use Handbrake but it will take forever to do a large volume of DVDs (and may not work for some due to copy protection techniques) - better to just remove the disks from the DVD retail cases and use CD storage pouches - then do something useful with the weeks of time you'll save - and you will still downsize the storage space massively (like 15:1 ish).

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Find the equivalent on a torrent site, download, and recycle the DVDs.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I use Handbrake for mine. It doesn't take as long as you'd think to rip an entire library. TV series are easier to rip through because you can cue up all the episodes on the disc. A few thousand movies and tv episodes has taken me a little over 2 years.
    But I also have the discs alone in binders and inserts and covers in storage boxes.
    The more time consuming part is running Subler against each to auto-fill the metadata.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yup. I've done it in the past, likely wouldn't again, though.

Mine only took nine months.

Biggest problem was storage, because drives don't last forever.

6. jwlbel thread starter macrumors regular

Does Handbrake work with store bought dvd's that are encrypted with copy right protections? I don't mind it taking a long time. I am in no huge rush. I know it took a few months to import about 50,000 cd's. I have about 200 DVD's.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Most of them, yes.
    Others I had to rip (full disc) using Mac The Ripper, then encode with Handbrake.

I also digitized my parent's VHS library, my gosh, that takes FOREVER compared to digital media.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

You'll need to get a library that I've forgotten the name of.

OK - Googled it up. It's called "libdvdcss". Homebrew can install it for you easily, or you can do it manually. Manual install requires temporarily disabling SIP (System Integrity Protection)

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

200 DVDs won't take long. Depending upon how diligent you are in feeding discs after each rip is done, it should only take a few weeks, a month tops.